What we are looking for
The conditions of the award are based on the principles of a healthy balanced diet; using healthier ingredients and preparation methods.This is what we're looking for:
- Levels of fats and oils, particularly saturated fat, must be kept to a minimum.
- Levels of salt must be kept to a minimum.
- Levels of sugar must be kept to a minimum.
- Fruit and vegetables must be clearly available.
- Starchy foods must form the main part of most meals.
- Where appropriate, healthy and nutritious children's food should be provided.
- At least 50 percent of the food on the menu must meet the specific healthyliving criteria, prepared using both healthier ingredients and cooking methods
- Have a promotion and marketing strategy which works alongside the general principles of the healthyliving award and supports healthier eating.
Meeting these conditions is likely to involve making changes to the ingredients and preparation methods you use. Exactly what this means is explained in the applicants' guidance pack you will receive when you register.
For more information see the self-assessment workbook, which provides a detailed overview of the award conditions.