Low sugar fruit cakeRecipe courtesy of Gill Orde in Catering.
Makes 20 slices
- 260g mixed dried fruit
- 150g currants
- 550ml Earl Grey or Lady Grey tea
- 1 tablespoon treacle
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 20g sugar
- 280g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- Place dried fruit in a large bowl, pour over the tea and stir in the treacle
- Cover and allow to soak overnight.
- Stir beaten egg into fruit mixture followed by the sugar, then the sifted flour and spice.
- Spoon into a lined 13 x 22 cm loaf tin and bake at 160C/gas mark 3 for 60 to 75 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Page last edited: 05 March 2012